.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This Old Crack House

From log house to farmhouse. Farmhouse to townhouse. Townhouse to apartment house. Apartment house to crack house. Crack house to our house. Our house to our home.

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Monday, May 15, 2006

Everything you needed to know about Plaster

Now that I know that plaster is basically slaked lime, gypsum and sand, and that I can repair stucco fairly rapidly, I have been doing some research because eventually I would like to finish some of the rooms in the basement. I read somewhere that basement walls in old houses were plastered to stop moisture from passing up to the upper floors. Lime plaster absorbs moisture it seems.

Today I was applying a 3rd coat of joint compound on my parlor walls to smooth them so that I can finish them up later in the week with a thin application of "topcoat". While I was doing this I got to pondering on the ingredients of the stuff. Well, HERE they are in case you just had to know.
Then I found THIS information. If you are hell bent on destroying plaster walls because they are cracked, you should read it. Then there is THIS site to read for additional information.

I do what is practical since I always find that there are several ways to do the same thing.

I have noticed that the longer it takes to get this place fixed up the better I get at doing it though!

2 Comments:

At 5/15/2006 2:13 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Nice info. There is a US distributor for Mike Wye in Ohio. You can find it at http://www.heritagelime.com/

There is also Virginia Lime Works at http://www.virginialimeworks.com/

And there is also US Heritage in Chicago at http://www.usheritage.com/

 
At 5/16/2006 4:57 PM, Blogger amanda said...

I have an unrelated (to plaster) question. I've been reading your blog for about a year now, but I've not spent a long time digging through your archives. Would you mind posting an overall summary of what you've done, and what remains to be completed before you move into the Crackhouse? A lot of the rooms that you've featured seem nearly complete, and then others do not. What's the current status? Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home