.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This Old Crack House

From log house to farmhouse. Farmhouse to townhouse. Townhouse to apartment house. Apartment house to crack house. Crack house to our house. Our house to our home.

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Monday, May 30, 2005

Weights and Measures Part 1

Ever wonder why your lot is a certain size? This may explain it. It certainly explains why all the lots around here are 33 feet wide at the front. From "Household Discoveries" dated 1909;

"Surveyors Measure.- In addition, the following table based upon Gunter's Chain, which is 4 rods or 66 feet, is employed for land surveying. An engineers chain, used by civil engineers, is 100 feet long, and consists of 100 links.

7.92 inches = 1 link
25 links = 1 rod
100 links = 1 chain
66 feet = 1 chain
4 rods = 1 chain
10 sq. chains - 160 sq. rods = 1 acre
80 chains = 1 mile
640 acres = 1 sq. mile
625 sq. links = 1 sq. pole
16 sq. poles = 1 sq. chain

The term perch or pole is sometimes used instead of square rod. The rood, 40 perches, or 1/2 acre, is found in old title deeds and surveys."

Once again I become the provider of weird and somewhat redundent information! Coming soon, I shall tell you exactly what a Firkin is......

3 Comments:

At 5/31/2005 11:47 AM, Anonymous Serendipity House said...

Hi Gary! Thanks for the great info! The cracks above the doors and windows are minimal. Then again, there are a few layers of walls, so who knows. I guess my biggest concern was the floors. It's nice to know that somebody else out there has slanted floors and they're living with them just fine! :)
Thanks again...have a great day!
Maria

 
At 5/31/2005 9:06 PM, Blogger Jocelyn said...

Where do you get all this fascinating info? Are you a librarian on the side? I am impressed. :)

 
At 6/01/2005 12:05 AM, Blogger Gary said...

No, I'm not a librarian. I learn on a need to know basis. When I need to know something then I read about 5 different versions of how to do it. I am not an avid reader. It takes me months to read a novel. My cultural reading is done whilst sitting on the "throne", I read through stuff that looks interesting as well as flip through the pages of "This Old House" magazine and "Better Homes and Gardens". I am quite a wealth of useless information!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home