Monday, September 26, 2005

An affair with Joint Compound!

I hate textured walls and rough textured ceilings. Texture is usually added to obscure or cover cracks in plaster. I prefer smooth walls and smooth or lightly textured ceilings. Unfortunately the "Old Crackhouse" lives up to it's name. It really is old and cracked!

This week I have been smoothing the walls in what will be our bedroom. They were smooth to begin with but had some really nasty settling cracks and a bunch of divits where nails had been driven into the plaster which is applied directly over the brick walls.

This is the ninth room which I have had to smooth the walls and ceiling. I am getting REALLY good at it. I don't even need to finish by sanding the walls any more! I have gone through so many 5 gallon buckets of joint compound over the last couple of years I have lost count. The bedroom has only needed two buckets and a small part of a third. Most of our rooms require 4 or 5 buckets.
Today I applied "Top Coat" to the ceiling of the bedroom and bathroom with a medium nap paint roller. This produces a fine texture to the ceiling and saved me hours of time trying to make the ceiling smooth while at the same time covering the smoothed over joints and cracks.

While I was at it, I even smoothed out the walls in the closet! Don't ask me why.

3 comments:

K said...

The closet? Wow - that's dedication.

Sarah Jane said...

Most impressive. How did you ever learn to do all that? A lot of practice it sounds like. Well congratulations, and I'm with you on the smooth over textured matter of opinion. Now if I could acquire your 'smoothing' skills.

Anonymous said...

Since I'm somewhat obsessive-compulsive, I wanted to read your blog from the first entry--so far have made it thru 9/05. I assume you were too tired to be very witty when you wrote this entry--would have expected you to say you're a "smooth operator". :-)