.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This Old Crack House

From log house to farmhouse. Farmhouse to townhouse. Townhouse to apartment house. Apartment house to crack house. Crack house to our house. Our house to our home.

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Monday, September 26, 2005

An affair with Joint Compound!

I hate textured walls and rough textured ceilings. Texture is usually added to obscure or cover cracks in plaster. I prefer smooth walls and smooth or lightly textured ceilings. Unfortunately the "Old Crackhouse" lives up to it's name. It really is old and cracked!

This week I have been smoothing the walls in what will be our bedroom. They were smooth to begin with but had some really nasty settling cracks and a bunch of divits where nails had been driven into the plaster which is applied directly over the brick walls.

This is the ninth room which I have had to smooth the walls and ceiling. I am getting REALLY good at it. I don't even need to finish by sanding the walls any more! I have gone through so many 5 gallon buckets of joint compound over the last couple of years I have lost count. The bedroom has only needed two buckets and a small part of a third. Most of our rooms require 4 or 5 buckets.
Today I applied "Top Coat" to the ceiling of the bedroom and bathroom with a medium nap paint roller. This produces a fine texture to the ceiling and saved me hours of time trying to make the ceiling smooth while at the same time covering the smoothed over joints and cracks.

While I was at it, I even smoothed out the walls in the closet! Don't ask me why.

3 Comments:

At 9/26/2005 12:58 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

The closet? Wow - that's dedication.

 
At 11/04/2005 10:18 AM, Blogger Sarah Jane said...

Most impressive. How did you ever learn to do all that? A lot of practice it sounds like. Well congratulations, and I'm with you on the smooth over textured matter of opinion. Now if I could acquire your 'smoothing' skills.

 
At 2/09/2011 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I'm somewhat obsessive-compulsive, I wanted to read your blog from the first entry--so far have made it thru 9/05. I assume you were too tired to be very witty when you wrote this entry--would have expected you to say you're a "smooth operator". :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home