Sunday, April 30, 2006

Putting Sugar On A Turd!

The neighborhood project continues. Slower than I desired but still plugging away. Since I had no volunteers for Saturday, I actually got some work done on my own house! Nothing exciting, stripping wood with steel wool and alcohol.

Anyway, we must get stopped 7 or 8 times while at work on the old theater building. We are all tired of having to explain that we are just fixing up the facade of the building and that it will still be boarded up when we are done. So we are now describing what we are doing as "Putting sugar on a turd" which is how one of the volunteers described the project. There seems to be considerable drug traffic in the area and quite a few drunks. So, when some crackhead or alcoholic asks what we are going to turn the building into the standard answer has become "A drug rehab center!"

I am almost done with the stucco work. Here is the building this week....

3 comments:

Wendy said...

[backhanded compliment]It looks much more like a drug rehab center now![/backhanded compliment]

Seriously, I really wish we were local so we could help and flake out, help out and flake out, help and flake out...

K said...

What a post title! You sure know how to get a girl's attention ...

Eric Wright said...

I grew up just down the street from that place. A few weeks ago (over Easter Weekend), when I was visiting Dayton I saw some people out there working. It must have been you.

I just moved back to Dayton a few weeks ago.

Ever since I was a kid that place has been a "turd" as you put it. Unfortunately, I saw you were just sugarcoating it. I was kind of hoping it would be turned into something useful.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the place.