Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I actually need advice!

I know that I give more than I ask for but, I actually need advice. Some of you are more avid gardeners than I am. My desire being lost when we acquired the "Old CrackHouse". Right now I am just trying to maintain it at the residence. The "CrackHouse" yard looks like some woodland scene right now.
What will get rid of thistle? This stuff won't quit! It looks nice on a prairie but not in my back yard! If you pull it up, five more replace it, if you cut it down it branches out and "Round-up" won't eliminate it....

Sections of my yard are looking like "The Day of The Triffids" (did I just age myself?). I could try salt water but I think the thistle will suck it up and spew more thistle!

My other thought is napalm........ but the neighbors might complain........ just a little.

7 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Maybe just bust out the Total Vegetation Killer and hose them down, as long as its not within close proximity to anything you want to survive. You could also try smothering it with plastic sheeting weighed down with bricks. I've done that when trying to kill a lawn to make a new garden bed. It takes a week or so. I think blankets will work for this as well. Good luck!

merideth said...

have you tried the Professional Strength Round up? Man if it'll kill Acacia, i'd think it would hit thistle pretty hard.

Anonymous said...

If you have trouble getting the Nepalm, here in Indiana we're trying to get rid of some VX gas. A safer method might be the black plastic, or perhaps slash and burn but that might not be legal.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that sheet mulching works the best, but I haven't tried it. Just smother it and I'd double the amount of recommended time for having it covered up. Good luck!

Kasmira said...

Can you burn it? I've heard of someone using a blowtorch to get rid of weeds. I would think that, if the roots are far enough underground, it would just pop back up.
If you keep yanking the tops off, the root underground will eventually die. It needs the greenery to keep the roots alive. You can outlast it if you keep on pulling.

Lisa said...

Napalm, smells like...Victory.

K said...

Have you ever been to the GardenWeb forum? Somebody over there will know exactly what to do.