.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This Old Crack House

From log house to farmhouse. Farmhouse to townhouse. Townhouse to apartment house. Apartment house to crack house. Crack house to our house. Our house to our home.

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Monday, June 13, 2005

There be treasure under thar!

During one of my putzing moments I started to strip paint from the mantle in the master bedroom uncovering some nasty burn marks in the wood. (Which explains why it was painted.)
I concluded that it would be easier if I removed the mantle from the wall, so I removed it. After stripping the paint from the alabaster hearth I thought "If I could lift this out and get it downstairs then I could polish it." So, I did that too. Here is the room now....



The space below the hearth is filled with rubble and ashes and this stuff!



There are several bits of paper. One is a calender page from May 1883, there is a receipt from Legler and Barlow Co. Here is what I found about them;

"In 1865 Messrs. Legler, Barlow & Co., began the dry-goods trade in Dayton. This branch of commercial industry requires more skill and offers a wider field for legitimate operation than any of the other industries, hence the dry-goods traffic needs to be mentioned in order to make this book complete.
We find by careful inquiry that the well-known and popular house of Legler, Barlow & Co., of Nos. 35 and 37 North Main street, ably represent this branch of commerce in Montgomery. They import and job all kinds of dry-goods and notions, and enjoy the confidence of the entire public. They use for the prosecution of' their business a building 140x40 feet, five stories. All members of this firm are gentlemanly to all."


There is a pair of scissors (that work well) as well as some china and glass shards, a broken piece of a hinge and some HELP WANTED ads.
I found the ads amusing myself. Work seems as if it was so much simpler then.....

2 Comments:

At 6/13/2005 8:36 PM, Blogger Patricia W said...

Pretty cool find. My aunt bought a house built around 1910. When she pulled up the linoleum in the 1/2 bathroom off of the kitchen the padding underneath was composed of entire sections of newspaper from the 1920's. It was like opening a time capsule, very neat.

 
At 6/13/2005 10:23 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Cool find. I found all kinds of stuff in the walls when I was running new wire. The interesting thing was that all of it was from the time when the original owners lived in the house 1895 - 1920. Nothing later than that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home