Thursday, October 23, 2008

More Polished Concrete

A little over two weeks ago when I had to fight with the tax appraisel folks I took this picture of our unfinished hearth in the main bathroom. Complete with water puddle on the floor from our leaky roof.



As of last night it looks like this.



Here is a close up for all you polished concrete sceptics.



This was poured in place and glass was pressed into the surface. The fact that it was poured in place and trowelled means the surface is slightly uneven. It is level but uneven. Most of the surface area is going to be covered with a mantle and a pellet stove insert. I curved the front to make it more interesting otherwise it would have been too square for the room.

I noticed our tax evaluation hasn't been adjusted yet to reflect the market as I was assured it would be. Gasoline is way down, copper is way down, natural gas is down and our house value is still double what it was a year ago.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks good. I like the glass chips. Too bad on the house valuation... I'm scared to look at what OURS is!

Anonymous said...

How did you "polish" the concrete? I am thinking of pulling out my kitchen flooring, tile on concrete slab, and using a leveling concrete and polishing it.

Can you tell us more?

eliza_bee said...

I love the glass chips, just beautiful. I wish I had a fireplace in my bathroom... maybe someday.

Gary said...

Bryan,
The concrete is polished with a variable speed grinder and some 4" diamond polishing pads. For a floor you might want to seek out a larger polisher. I know they make them. Don't know how levelling concrete will look polished. I suspect it is mostly sand and fine sand in the mix.

Sandy said...

The glass in the concrete looks super. I wish I had a bathroom big enough to HAVE a fireplace in it! Sigh.