Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Interesting Development

I took Elizabeth out yesterday for a drive and later stopped at a local park with a paddling pool. Before I went out I looked at a picture that I took a while back of an old map from 1895 (and one from 1875) to locate the original farm of Herman Volkenand in Beavercreek Ohio. He is the guy that bought and remodelled our house between 1887 and 1890. I figured out the exact location on a modern map and decided to go out and play history detective in the comfort of automobile air conditioning while Elizabeth dozed off for her afternoon nap in the car. Thus began "Farmquest 2005".
I was quite expecting to find an old farmhouse from the 1860s. The area is quite rural although Beavercreek is quite the place to live these days. There is a lot of development going on in that part of Greene County and the schools are quite attractive.

Well, HERE is what I found! It wasn't what I expected.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I wonder if maybe in 40 years when the golf course homes begin to crumble the wealthy will head back to Dayton and beg to buy your fully restored classic that is still as sturdy as the day it was built.

Anonymous said...

Gary,
How interesting to find your article on the Volkenand Farm. He was my G-G grandfather, and my mother was born there on the old farm. We joke about her being born there at the Country Club of the North!

J. Hess