Friday, May 18, 2018

More Roof Antics

So, I was able to get the roof done at the front of the house. The 1960s dormer is gone and I have replaced it with one that will be similar to the original Victorian era one. There is a problem with that though. I can’t find a local metal shop that wants to reproduce it. So I will build it up out of cedar boards and seal and paint them. Now I have one whole side left to do and a 10 foot section from a dormer on the side of the house to the corner on the front. It keeps raining though. That or rain is predicted but it doesn’t rain. I took a chance a few days ago and ripped out the gutter of the 10 foot section. Then it rained. Next day I got the gutter section in place, soldered it, removed the slate ... then it poured with rain. Today I had a 2 hour window of opportunity to get tar paper installed and it began to pour rain just as I got it done. It is still raining and will continue to do so for the rest of the day. Anyway, here is a picture of the front of the house as it looks now while it is raining!

Here is the progress after the tarp was removed.

Here is the roof tile close up. That gutter won’t stay that shiney for very long.