Wednesday, June 29, 2005

A recipe for summer!

Here I was going to rattle on about weights and measures once again, but I noticed this recipe in the cook book section of my 1909 copy of "Household Discoveries and Mrs. Curtis's Cookbook".
Being an avid coffee drinker (about a quart a day) and seeing that this only listed two ingredients I realized that it was a recipe I could follow.

"Iced Coffee with Orange Flavor

1 quart strong coffee
2 cupfuls sugar

Boil the ingredients 10 minutes. Allow this to cool and add to each cup or glass 1 tablespoon orange syrup and the same amount of cream partially whipped. The orange syrup may be obtained at a drug store or made by allowing cut oranges to stand in sugar and straining off the juice."

Now I'm sure that with modern refridgeration and ice making this will taste great on any hot day. I know what I can make tomorrow!

You will just have to wait to hear about the establishment of "Standard Time" in 1883.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.

I've been drinking the Dunkin Donuts blueberry iced coffee like a total fiend. My attempts at homemade iced coffee have always been somewhat disappointing. Maybe because I wasn't adding 2 cups of sugar!

I used to work at an ice cream shop where we made THE BEST SHAKES EVER. We used lots of chocolate ice cream and strong (cold) coffee instead of milk.

I gained ten pounds that summer because I couldn't stay away from them.

Deb said...

mmmmm, coffee