Thursday, July 28, 2005

Here Is The Mantle Top Now.

I haven't had much opportunity to work on the house this week but I have managed to get some shellac on my mantle top. Now all I have to do is mount it to the base by putting nails in those pre-existing divits, filling the divits with colored putty and then dabbing some shellac over the spots. Oh, and the final rub with furniture wax and superfine steel wool. I guess I should go buy some stove black spray paint to paint the metal fire place frame before I mount this back on the wall. I wouldn't want to spray my newly finished mantle now, would I?

Here are the pictures.




















You can see that I did a fairly decent job of covering up that large burn mark. We could always put a doily over it!

4 comments:

Greg said...

I don't even think you need a doily. No one will even noticee that. It looks great.

Anonymous said...

Looks great- I wouldn't see the mark unless you told me to look at it!

Derek said...

I think the mark adds character. It tells a story, and you did an awesome job of making it less obvious

Beth said...

That looks awesome, Gary.