Monday, September 08, 2008

Bulk Head Doors


Many of you will recall that last March we had a little problem with the freeze/thaw cycle that prompted me to replace the right side wall with poured concrete in October. This last week or so I have finally removed the rocks that held the left side together and upon building my framework for pouring concrete it proceeded to rain for two days leaving me with an inch of mud in our basement and the added pleasure of having to remove the framework and re-dig several inches of mud out of the pour area. Hey, why do a job once when you can do it twice, right?
Anyway, I took this picture over the weekend before I got all the bricks in place and I am proceeding nicely with the project. I even used a few of our stones for the first step just to make the place look rustic.




You know, I just noticed that the graffiti on the lintel says "EAST SIDE." See, without the photo, I would never have figured that out. I'm impressed that they spelled both words correctly.




I was searching online for wood bulk head doors or wood cellar doors and all I could get were sights trying to sell me or screaming the benefits of steel replacement doors. I'm not opposed to steel doors but for these steps it would have to be custom made and I could produce a perfectly good set of wood doors for less cost and have them done before winter rolls around. Trouble is I couldn't figure out how to attach the wood framing and what it should look like. The good news is that when we travel around I take pictures and store them in an idea folder. Last year I wrote a post about Carriage Hill Farm where they have two sets of bulkhead doors. I had a picture in the folder and went back to take a few more. For some reason the stars must have been in the perfect alignment because one set was open at the exact moment of my arrival and so I took some pictures. These pretty much tell it all.






Now all I have to do is get the stars to align once again so that when I make the doors for our bulk head they actually close properly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary:
Here's a link to the doors I designed and (over)built 2 years ago. http://hauserhaus.blogspot.com/2006/12/backstory.html
They are built with v-groove t&g cedar and I did the X braceing on the backs. I got some nifty aluminum channel to protect the end grains on the tops and bottoms and put a diagonal aluminum channel over the door for runoff.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Im in that same situation. Purchased an old home from a foreclorer..dated 1855..only doors I can find are the steel ones..and those go for 700 plus installation. Even so..they are ugly..and Im wanting wooden doors exactly like this you did. How can I get more details about how they were built? Type of wood..etc...please..I am SOOOO wanting these!!! Thank You..Linda H. Fremont OHIO..The Home of President Hayes