.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This Old Crack House

From log house to farmhouse. Farmhouse to townhouse. Townhouse to apartment house. Apartment house to crack house. Crack house to our house. Our house to our home.

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Roof Progress (the continuing story)

This saga has been going on for quite some time but the reality is that I have actually only worked on the place for 14 days. Six of those days involved tear down of the front porch and fire escape and one day was spent forming copper gutters. After rebuilding the structural elements and filling the gaping big hole in the roof, it left about 4 days of actual work on the roof. Here is the progress.

Tar paper on one side of the chimney.

Tar paper on both sides of the chimney.

Faux slate on one side of the chimney.

Faux slate on both sides of the chimney.

A close up peak at the composite shingles.

This stuff is made by Tamko and is called Lamerite. It is a composite material that is warranted for 50 years and comes in assorted shapes and sizes. It is easy to cut and can be applied using a nail gun which makes attaching them so much easier than original slate.

They look good too and from the ground, they look like slate!

The bad news is that I suspect that I will run out of daylight and time before I run out of roof to replace. The good news is that I can apply this and the gutters in sections. The flashing around the windows and chimneys is a bear to do and there are two chimneys and 5 windows total. Currently I am one chimney and one window down. I forsee plenty of roof work in my future!


At 10/17/2010 11:59 AM, Blogger Larry said...

AWESOME!!!! Keep up the great work.

At 10/18/2010 11:11 AM, Blogger River Wilson said...

Wow, that DOES look like real slate. And I love the pattern!

At 10/26/2010 7:07 PM, Anonymous Kate H. said...

Hope everything was buttoned up by the time the wind and rain came today!

(Oh, I'm finally started my shellacking . . . )

At 10/31/2010 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, it looks great. i am so impressed with your making copper flashings. solder on!

At 11/27/2010 1:26 PM, Blogger JimSachs said...

Just dicovered your fascinating blog. That roof looks fantastic. Mixing the different shades of Lamarite is very effective.

At 12/02/2010 8:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What you've been doing with your home's really amazing! You seem to be very eager in transforming your old crack house into a wow! Like you, my home is such a mess especially our roof. So we decided to consult some Miami roofing company and we purchased better quality and better looking roof for our home. Now, it's far way better than before.

At 1/09/2011 11:43 PM, Anonymous Austens High Pressure Cleaning said...

Who would think they're not the real thing! Good job.

At 2/25/2011 12:54 PM, Blogger P.j. said...

Love, love, love the faux slate shingle & the design used. Almost wish we had to replace our roof (a rubber type supposed to last 50 years), even though it can't be seen except by planes (roof isn't Mansard style like your house :-(

At 3/22/2011 8:09 AM, Anonymous Liquid Rubber said...

Sounds good, I am really happy to check out this posting, this is really what we all need to know and I am sure this information will be helpful for all of us, keep posting.

At 8/25/2011 1:48 PM, Anonymous Galliena Gornet said...

How long did it take before you finished everything, Gary? Btw, the composite shingles look great! Who thought of their design? Gray and black are absolutely matching colors!

At 8/25/2011 2:55 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Roof is still not complete. I got some more "Lamarite" shingles up last month but then it got really hot here. I expect to have all but the front of the house done before winter. The front is a little more complex because it involves renovating a dormer window.

At 8/27/2011 2:03 AM, Blogger LemonDrop said...

Gary, I discovered your blog 2 years ago, when I bought my own 100-y-o house in Portland OR. Many weary miles later I have learned to wire (12 circuits, 1/4-mile of 12/2, 66 devices, and passed). Now I am patching the L&P walls I broke into for a replumb. (I am NOT as intrepid as you are... I hired it out but got full Wirsbo basement to 2nd floor for $2550!) So I am back looking for your old plaster posts. I have about 100 sq ft in 4 rooms, and my 2 bids are $3400 and $3800!!! So if Gary can do it, I can at least give it a try! Love your blog.


Post a Comment

<< Home