Saturday, April 14, 2012

Black is Black

I am finally starting to get the molding up in the dining room. This room has no molding at all. It is hard to believe that at one time the room looked like this.



Then it started to get put together again.



The windows have looked like this for a long time without any molding and without curtains.



Since I have been on a curtain binge lately, I figured that it was time to get the curtains up in this room. They have been packed away for three years. I had to do a little restoration work on the window sills since they had been destroyed back in the 1950s when this house became apartments. So I found some old 2 X 4s in my basement and repaired the sills using some really long screws and Bondo.





Then I measured up some pine boards and painted them black to match the fireplace mantle and nailed them in place. I got the curtains up too.



So the first picture above has become this. I still have the chair rail, picture rail, ceiling molding, three doorways and the baseboards to do but at least I've started.



We are in the eleventh year of our ambitious three year project!

4 comments:

Kate H. said...

Re: the last line: Why am I laughing hysterically?

Tried to remount my bedroom door frame this evening-- it's been down the last four years-- and I had to get clever and use an old 2x4 from the basement for blocking. After all, the POs-1 used 2x4 blocks (dinky little ones) when they moved the doorway 15 years ago. I should have noticed that that old 2x4 was an old 2x4. Like 1¾" thick. For some reason I got away with it at the top. But the opening's ¼" too narrow at the bottom and my door won't close. Gotta take it all down and do it over. You can probably hear my shrieks of mirth all the way over in Dayton.

But your dining room is looking good. Will all the trim be black?

Joachim Wang said...

Nice! You've really spent your time fixing your house. Even though your house looks like it was going to break down, you managed to fix it. Hmm.. As the saying goes, "If there is a will, there is a way".

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous windows. Great way to have privacy but let light in. Are those antique stained glassed windows or new, or is it even glass? I couldn't find a past entry on your blog that talked about them. I've seen plastic film you can buy to look like stained glass, but I've been leery of it.
-Cheryl

Gary said...

All trim will be black but chair rail and picture rail will be gold on black. I have red daisy wood accents mounted on the door corner blocks to mimic and compliment the ceiling medallion which you can view in this post from 2005.
http://thisoldcrackhouse.blogspot.com/2005/10/change-in-plans-again.html

Those are modern stain glass windows that are hung on chains in front of the restored sash windows. We have three of them. The third one hangs in the kitchen.