Tuesday, January 28, 2014

More Stuff

For years the hallway door to the dining room looked like this.I really needed to put molding around the door frame to cover the brick. Well, finally in 2013 it happened. So this



now looks like this!





This year the wife wanted thresholds in the doorways. She got tired of looking at the "Greatstuff" filled gaps in the floor between the doors entering the dining room. So I went to the basement to seek out some old pieces of wood that were wide enough to make thresholds. Here are the results

 


Amazing what you can do in 30 minutes with a plane and a piece of wood. Of course the shellac added a few hours to the process but now I have thresholds! So, how is the house coming along? Slowly, very slowly ....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you back again Gary!
I've always wondered why threshholds at doors are higher than the rest of the floor. Do you know of any reason?

Gary said...

Quick search online yields this answer. Explains it better than I could.

The primary purpose of a door threshold is to provide a seal underneath the door, as a protection against heat in the summer and cold in the winter. The threshold shields the interior from drafts that would otherwise flow inside and cause you to either turn up the air conditioning during a heat wave or crank up the heat during the colder months. The threshold also protects the interior from rainwater, which would otherwise find a way into the entry area.


Angus said...

Hmmm, I guess it makes sense that way as it then leaves the door higher than the rest of the floor so that if something gets caught under the door it won't scratch the floor. I just wondered because since I moved to Germany the thresholds here are much higher, but the bottom of the door is rabbeted (or stepped) so that not only the 'bottom' of the door meets the threshold, but the inside of the rabbet hits the edge of the threshold. I've never seen doors like that back in the States so wondered why the high threshold. Thanks Gary.

Ronald Armeen said...

A really great piece of work. The wood looks great. Lots and lots of ideas to take and use in my own house. My wife has been nagging me about doing a few projects around the house for ages. Looks like I will be using the ideas myself. Thanks for the great work and love the blog post. Thanks again.

Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware