Friday, June 13, 2008

Bathroom Accessories.

Do you all remember the "Steampunk Bathroom"? This is really a small powder room that I installed under the main stairs. It became "Steampunked" out of necessity due to having restrictive clearances around the sink and water supply to the sink. Some local folks have viewed the room and think it is quite cool and very unique. Well, accessories for such a room are not easy to come by. You have to be creative and take a second look at stuff hoarded away in your basement before you throw it out.
For example, a toilet roll holder;



One of the problems with such a small room is .... well lets face it, odor. We all know that my sh*t doesn't stink but after extra helpings of baked beans at a picnic it can turn a little sour .... sometimes. The obvious solution is to put a vent in the room except the only place to vent to is the basement. Since I am the one who frequents the basement most, I am not in favor of this idea. Especially if someone else ate extra helpings of the same baked beans!
I found an old air filter while boxing up items from the basement of the resident house and in a dull moment I dismantled it into all of the primary components which include a carbon filter. Then for several weeks I have planned and sketched ideas on how to incorporate the components into a Victorian looking shell and mount it on the wall behind the toilet. Before I drywalled the room I ran some electric cable from a second switch to the space behind the toilet bowl to accommodate power to whatever solution I would devise in the future. Since the future is now, all that I need to do is cut a hole in the drywall, retrieve the cable and insert an electrical box and a socket. It is always good to plan for the unexpected.

Last week I stopped at a local thrift shop to buy some trousers (I never buy new trousers because they ultimately end up as work clothes) and wandered around the store where I found, for the grand sum of 99 cents, a wood microscope case. So, I have been tinkering with things for the last few days and I even had to get out my shellac and play with it. I'm sure that it will become more interesting to look at in time (I want to put a barometer on it) and I have this thermometer to attach unless I find one more aesthetic but that is for another future moment ....



So I now present the proto-type dual action, two speed "Atmospheric Incandescent Radiometric Flatulence Infiltration Level Temperature Expulsion Regulator." (AIR FILTER)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess green means "It's safe to enter", while red means "Give that AIR FILTER a little more time to work"?

Anonymous said...

That's great. I especially like the green bulb on top.

-FolksyLady

Joanne said...

Quick! I'd get that name trademarked. :-) Love the green bulb!

Gary said...

The green bulb is the "ON" light which works out good because when you flip the wrong switch upon entering the room at least a light comes on! The bad news is that the wife says the thing is too big so it will get moved to another location. On the other hand I found an old 12V Auto filter in the same basement that I have already butchered and will be Victorianising soon, and it will have a light on it too!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Anne Mae said...

I enjoyeed reading your post