Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ask and You Shall Receive!

I have been asked for an update on the progress at the "Old Crackhouse". This was not the first request. Some people don't have the computer skills to spend two hours going through 1 year of "Blog" entries and the "Website" documenting the 5 years of progress on this place. I have been asked to do a summary to make quick viewing of the rooms we have done work on. So, before I give you the link, know this;

This place effectively has 11 rooms. They consist of 2 living rooms, 2 dining rooms, 1 parlor, 1 kitchen, 1 huge bathroom and 4 bedrooms. There is also a large entry hall or "vestibule", two powder rooms, a laundry room, Elizabeth's closet room, the entire third floor which will have a kitchen, bathroom, living room and studio/ work room and there are 5 rooms in the basement that will become 4 rooms when I remove a beadboard partition.

Besides replacing the shingle roof I have completely rewired the place and re-plumbed it. The first floor of the main house is almost finished. I hope to have the parlor primed and the floor sanded this month. This is the last room on the first floor to have the floor finished.
Once done, I have to work on getting a toilet installed on the first floor, getting a laundry room functional on the second floor of the "cottage side", a tankless hot water heater put in the basement and a 90% efficient furnace put in the basement and several of the chimneys lined so that we have some heat if we move in.

Once in, I have the second floor of the "cottage" side to work on and the entire third floor which will require a whole different heating system. Then there is the porch and balcony as well as the front porch and the rebuilding of the small side porch. I have to replace the box gutters and put slate on the mansard part of the roof. Then there is the basement and the garden as well as the garage I have to build..... so this adventure will continue for another two or three years! Sorry, but I have always said it was an ambitious first project! I will say it is certainly alot of work for one person to do (or at least 90% was done by one person) but think of all the money I saved AND some people pay others a whole lot of money to learn the skills that I now have!
The thing that amazes me more than anything else is that I haven't given up yet!

So, for the Quick Tour, go HERE and follow the quick tour links!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thumbnails look great, but the links to the (presumably) larger pictures are all broken, at least for me. :-(

Anonymous said...

I've gotta say, when I stumbled over the Old Crackhouse, I enjoyed reading the whole story (one both websites. Might have taken 4 or 5 days on and off, but it was great fun.
(Of course after reading 10 or more posts a day, now that I've caught up, one post a day seems a little slow ;) but shellac needs time to dry ;)

Angus

Gary said...

OK. I think the links are fixed! If not, then it is because there are two "http://" or "graphics" posted in the URL. Remove one and try the link again in your browser and it may just work! If not, well then try going through the long version one page at a time for the WHOLE story....... but it may take some time!

Anonymous said...

I think if you just modify the links to use the forward slash (/) and not the backslash (\) they'll work in all browsers. At the moment, they work in my version of IE, but not NN or FF.

Gary said...

I think it is all fixed now!
Phew! There were alot of links!
I am no computer guru. I am only a 10 of all trades, not good enough to be a Jack!

amanda said...

Somehow I just found this post now... must have missed it on the houseblogs feed last Thursday. Thansk for the update, I can't wait to go through the pictures!