Tuesday, April 08, 2008

WAR! What is it Good For?

So you want to know what Point Pleasant, West Virginia is famous for? Well I won't go into great lengths to explain things because there is much written about the place. The first thing it is famous for is the battle that took place there in 1774. If you believe in conspiracy theories then this is a very important battle. If you are a native American then the place is the burial place of a great warrior who happened to be murdered while a prisoner at Fort Randolph during the Revolutionary War.
We were in Point Pleasant for a reenactment at the reconstructed Fort Randolph in Krodel Park. In fact, here is a photo of my two favorite women in the tavern



while everyone else was resting outside on the porch.



It was a very small event.

People don't visit Point Pleasant to see the battlefield monument and they certainly don't go to visit the reconstructed Fort Randolph. They don't visit for the food since McDonalds and Wendy's are in competition with Bennigans. I didn't see a Home Depot, Lowes or even a Walmart in or near the town. Gas was $3.45 a gallon so that doesn't attract visitors from nearby Ohio where it is 20 cents cheaper. So, what is the real attraction in Point Pleasant? This statue stands in the heart of downtown. If you blink, you could miss it since the town is quite small.



The plaque at the base reads as follows




The red eyes remind me of how I look in the morning after sitting around a fire drinking beer until the wee hours.

You can read all about it here and if you didn't get Jens remark to yesterdays post, the product brand most recognized through the promotion of the movie about the tale is "Chapstick". The place boasts that it is the home of the "Worlds Only Mothman Museum" which you will miss if you blink too. So go rent the movie if you haven't seen it already and realize that none of it was actually filmed in Point Pleasant.

I promise that I will get back to blogging about the house real soon. I could tell you all about the rain, the flooded basement, the sewer back up two days after the flooded basement, the garden and picking up all the trash in the street and the alley that accumulates because some neighbors are pigs. The attempt to control a roof leak by plastering a chimney on the third floor while it was raining outside or the re tiling of the sink area in the resident house, and more, but that all pales in comparison when you can tell stories about Point Pleasant and Mothman! Besides, I have never been one to bitch about all the bad stuff that happens to me, just all the stupid bad stuff that everyone can identify with.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's kind of a scary statue... I don't know that I would have the guts to stand beside it if I were that child!

Anonymous said...

Followed your links. Spook lights. Do. Not. Want.

Frankly, I think it's the 'ills. You get the same things in the Peak District in England and the Ozarks in Missouri.

BTW, nice costumes.

Sandy said...

There is a young man who has a re-enactment site. If anyone is a reenacter, they should check it out. I will ask his permission to put his link in here before I do. He puts a lot of interesting things on his site, including pictures.

Sandy said...

Hi! Young William has given me permission to post the path to his blog. It seems he reads your blog, too! Here it is:

http://www.theyoungcampaigner.com/

I really enjoy reading his blog even though I don't participate in reenactments.