Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A week of Silence

I have been "off-the-blog" for a while. I had a festival to put together and had to spend a lot of time making some carnival game boards while other neighborhood volunteers cleaned out the rest rooms and shelter at the local park where the festival was to be held.
On Friday, one day before the festival, the city workers arrived to clean the shelter and the rest rooms! I guess they got to go home early that day! I also fixed a huge crack in the concrete slab that you step onto in order to enter the shelter. I tuck pointed some of the major cracks in the stone wall of the shelter. I mixed up some sand, lime and portland cement in a bucket and used up as much as I could on Friday evening since the festival was scheduled for Saturday from 10 AM til 8 PM.
On Monday the city workers were at the shelter caulking the cracks and fixing the roof! Nothing like being late.

Elizabeth and I also made front page news.



Our picture was on the front page of Wednesdays Dayton Daily News with a story, or actually two stories, that the reporter gleemed from our neighborhood newsletter that someone gave her.
The only work that has been done on the house involved a vacuum cleaner and a wet rag and I'm certain that every houseblogger has been there and doesn't need a detailed description of the process. I also took it upon myself to do a little experimenting with some portland cement, peat moss and perlite in the last couple of weeks and my next post will discuss the trials and tribulations of making hypertufa garden planters! Oooohhhh, bet you're getting excited about that!

1 comment:

jake said...

Excellent! Congrats on making the news!