Monday, April 24, 2006

Up His Sleeve, In His Hat, In His Coat Pocket

Weekend two of the neighborhood project!



I guess when you have volunteer labor you certainly get what you pay for. I had 15 volunteers before the project began. Nine came to the pre project meeting. Ten enthusiastic volunteers arrived on day one. All of these numbers count me as a volunteer.
Day two of the project produced 3 of us. One week later there were three again and on Sunday there were 2. My wife stepped in and did most of the lower painting that you see in the picture so our #s went up to three on Sunday. If I had two more people, the painting would have been almost complete except for the upper part. So, all you young un's out there who believe that the "World is your oyster", realize that 90% of the work is done by 10% of the people otherwise your future is going to be a clam! Fortunately, I have learned to have low expectations when it involves the work of others. That way I am rarely disappointed and easily impressed.

The good news is that there are some really dedicated people in this neighborhood. There is much drive by interest in the building. The colors were picked by just two of us making decisions by committee null and void AND..... most importantly, I am getting REALLY GOOD at doing stucco!

I think a good old Catholic style guilt trip is in order for my work force!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you think the city could string a few more power cables up? The whole thing reminds me of Crumb's bit on Progress. Nice work on the painting! Ask your wife if she does minies.